The Bible is an essential tool for all missionaries. It brings light to millions of people living in darkness:
- People suffering from the effects of war, often civil war. Bibles are distributed in Angola, where 6 in 10 people live in extreme poverty.
- People who are blind. A Braille version of the Bible is published in many languages.
- People who only speak their own tribal language. The Bible is being translated into many languages - eg, the Newar language in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- People who are illiterate. Audio Bibles are provided for some of the 860 million adults who cannot read.
- People in prison who have lost hope. Bible Society sends Youth Bibles to prisons in the UK, while 70,000 Bibles have been distributed to prisoners in Ethiopia.
China’s growing church urgently needs the Bible. Thousands turn to Christ every day, with 500,000 baptisms each year. In some places up to 100 believers have to share a single Bible between them.
This year the Chinese government gave permission for printing 3.5 million more Bibles. The paper for each Bible costs 60p. A roll of paper costing £360 provides paper for 600 Bibles.
Search the Bible, see how the Bible is changing lives and
find out about the Bible
Bible Society, Stonehill Green, Westlea, Swindon SN5 7DG
Tel: 01793 418222
Christ Church Rep: Joan Winton